Carisbrooke Shipping wins prestigious Maritime Solent UK innovation award
On Thursday 5th October Portsmouth Historic Dockyard hosted the annual Awards dinner organised by Maritime UK Solent to celebrate the region’s outstanding contribution to Maritime and people who drive it to be a world leading regional industry.
There were over 90 entries across 13 award categories and two trophies were brought home by Isle of Wight winners on the evening, firmly putting the island onto the innovation map.
Carisbrooke Shipping is a winner of Technology Game-Changer Award sponsored by Red Funnel.
Carisbrooke Shipping won this award for our forward-thinking designs and systems aimed at significantly reducing emissions from the fleet of 27 vessels sailing worldwide, those include:
- Development of the ‘Ship of the Future’ design with projected 39% emission reduction.
- Consortium member to develop and trial the first internal combustion hydrogen engine onboard a UK registered ship.
- Working alongside Solent start-up GT Green to trial wind propulsion systems.
- Partner to trial UK-developed solar tile arrays to generate electricity onboard.
- R&D with the University of Southampton for a hull biofouling prediction tool.
- Setting up a Fleet Operation Centre reducing exhaust emissions by 6% in 2022.
Capt. Simon Merritt says, “It’s fantastic for our team to be recognised after so many years working hard to reduce our carbon footprint. We are proud to partner with the region’s industry and academic organisations who share commitment to innovation and sustainability. We have a number of exciting innovation projects where we are pushing the boundaries and working in a space where the future of maritime transportation is being rewritten”.
Our congratulations also go to a fellow Isle of Wight organisation, Cowes Enterprise College an Ormiston Academy, and principal Rachel Kitley for Maritime Legacy Award.
Isle of Wight MP Bob Seely commented, “Delighted to see so many Island firms at the Solent Maritime awards last week. Thank you to the Solent LEP / Solent Partners. Congratulations especially to Carisbrooke Shipping’s Simon Merritt and Rachel Kitley, head of Official Cowes Enterprise College”.